You might like
You are in:
- Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup
Back Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup
Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup
A delicious bright and colourful soup. Roasting vegetables first really brings out their flavours, so it’s well worth taking the time to do this.
- 1½ kg ripe tomatoes, halved horizontally
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400ml vegetable stock, made from a cube
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 tbsp green pesto
- 1 drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small bunch fresh basil leaves
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6. Place the tomatoes, cut side up, in a large roasting tray with the peppers, onions and garlic. Season, and drizzle over the oil.
- Roast for 50 minutes until the vegetables start to caramelise. Remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to 180°C/160°C/Gas 4.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins and add to a food processor with the rest of the roasted vegetables and any juice from the tray. Blitz until smooth, adding a little of the vegetable stock to create a smooth consistency.
- Pour the blended soup into a pan and stir in the tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, smoked paprika and the rest of the vegetable stock. Season to taste and heat through.
- Spoon the soup into bowls and drizzle over the pesto and oil. Garnish with small basil leaves and serve with the garlic bread.