You might like
You are in:
- Chicken and Leek Pie
Back Chicken and Leek Pie
Chicken and Leek Pie
This chicken and leek pie is a deliciously warming winter meal.
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- 4 rashers unsmoked streaky bacon, diced
- 500g chicken thigh meat, diced into 2cm pieces
- 1 whole onion, diced
- 2 whole leeks, trimmed and sliced thickly
- 150ml white wine
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 200ml chicken stock
- 200ml whipping cream
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 320g puff pastry, ready rolled
- 1 whole egg, beaten
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- To bake, preheat the oven to 200C fan/220C/gas 7.
- Drizzle a little olive oil in a large saucepan, then add the bacon and chicken. Sauté over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and leeks and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the white wine, bring to the boil, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, mix well to combine, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add the cream and mustard. Stir and bring to the boil. Boil for 10 minutes to reduce the sauce. Season to taste.
- Spoon the chicken and leek mix into a pie dish (dish size should be approximately 23cm x 30cm).
- Brush a little beaten egg around the lip of the pie dish.
- Then, unroll the puff pastry and place over the top of the chicken and leek pie filling.
- Trim away any excess pastry. Crimp the edges using your fingers or a fork.
- Brush the pastry lightly with the beaten egg and, using kitchen scissors, snip 3 holes in the pastry. This will allow the steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and risen.