You might like
You are in:
- Chicken, Carrot and Apricot Tagine
Back Chicken, Carrot and Apricot Tagine
Chicken, Carrot and Apricot Tagine
Bring the sunshine to your dinner table with this bright and bold North African-style tagine.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken legs
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 5 cm root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 350ml chicken stock, made from a cube
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 12 dried apricots, halved
- 15g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a saucepan. Season the chicken well and sear until browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and add the remaining oil along with the onions, garlic and ginger. Season well and sauté for about 10 minutes, until the onions are soft.
- Lightly crush the saffron strands and add 1 tsp boiling water. This will intensify the colour and taste. Add the saffron to the onions along with the other spices and tomato purée. Continue to cook for 2 minutes then add the chicken, carrots, stock, honey, lemon juice and apricots.
- Simmer for 40 minutes or until the chicken is tender, cooked through and no pink meat remains. Garnish with the coriander. This dish is great served with cous cous.