You might like
You are in:
- Aubergine and Chickpea Salad
Back Aubergine and Chickpea Salad
Aubergine and Chickpea Salad
This vegetarian recipe is ideal for summer gatherings. If you don't fancy chickpeas, try using cannellini beans or canned butter beans instead.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 aubergines, diced into 2cm cubes
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 150g bulgur wheat
- 300g chickpeas, drained
- 1 lemon, juice and finely grated zest
- 2 large vine tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Heat 3 tbsp of the oil in a pan and add the chopped onion, aubergine, spices and garlic with 3 tbsp water.
- Toss well and cook, covered but stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes until the aubergine is tender.
- Remove the lid, raise the heat and cook for a further 5 minutes so the juices evaporate. Allow to cool.
- Place the bulgar wheat in a pan with 500ml water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the water is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat, fluff up with a fork and cool.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6. In a large bowl, toss together the aubergine mixture, bulgar wheat, chickpeas, lemon zest and juice, tomatoes and parsley. Season and mix together thoroughly.
- Brush each flatbread with garlic butter and scatter with a little parsley. Stack, wrap in foil and warm through in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Divide the salad between 4 serving bowls and serve each with a garlic flatbread