You might like
You are in:
- Toffee Apples
Back Toffee Apples
Toffee apples are fun and easy to make and a Bonfire Night classic.
- 8 Gala apples
- 400g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 50g chopped nuts
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Place the apples in a large bowl, cover with boiling water to remove the waxy coating and help the caramel to stick. Dry thoroughly and remove any stalks.
- Push a wooden skewer into the stalk end of each apple.
- Place a sheet of baking parchment and put the apples on top. Tip the sugar into a pan along with 100ml water on a medium heat. Cook for 5 mins until the sugar dissolves, then stir in the vinegar and syrup. Boil to 150C or ‘hard crack’ stage, you can test the toffee by pouring a little into a bowl of cold water, It should harden instantly and when removed be brittle and easy to break.
- Dip and twist each apple in the hot toffee until covered and let any excess drip away. You may have to heat the toffee a little if the temperature drops and it starts to feel thick.
- To finish, before the toffee hardens, dip the toffee apples in the chopped nuts. Place on the baking parchment to harden.
- Leave to cool before eating. Can be made up to 2 days in advance, if stored in a dry place.