You might like
You are in:
- Spiced Goose Pilaff
Back Spiced Goose Pilaff
Spiced Goose Pilaff
This stunning and fragrant rice dish makes a filling main meal or a gorgeous side.
- 4 goose legs, alternatively you can use duck legs
- 250g basmati rice
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1 aubergine, cubed
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 50g dairy free spread
- 500ml chicken stock, hot
- 1 large handful mint leaves
- 50g pomegranate seeds
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Preheat the oven to 150c/130 fan gas mark 2/ 300F
- Put the goose legs, skin side down, in a tight fitting baking dish and add in 50ml water.
- Cover with foil and roast for 2 hours. After that time, remove the foil, turn the legs skin side up and cook for another hour.
- Once the goose is cooked, allow to cool completely.
- Soak the basmati rice in cold water for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, add one of the sliced onions to a small frying pan on a low heat with a little oil and cook on low for 30-45 minutes or until caramelised.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large shallow casserole on a medium or frying pan and fry the other onion and aubergine until golden.
- Add in the cardamom, cumin, coriander and cinnamon and stir well. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Shred the goose meat from the legs and stir that through with the spices drained rice, plenty of salt and butter. Then pour in the chicken stock.
- Cover tightly with a lid and allow to cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes undisturbed.
- Once the time is up, turn the heat off without removing the lid and allow to sit for 10 more minutes.
- When you are ready to serve, remove the lid and scatter over the pomegranates, caramelised onions and mint leaves. Serve immediately.