- Spatchcock BBQ Chicken
Spatchcock BBQ Chicken
- 1 large whole chicken
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 35g BBQ seasoning
- 430g tomato passata
- 5 tbsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1½ tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Other time: 30 mins chilling & 15 mins resting
Spatchcock your chicken before starting this recipe - Place the chicken on a chopping board. Cut away the wing tips and the lower leg joint of each drumstick and discard. Using a knife, cut along one side of the backbone of the chicken, right up to the neck. Next, cut along the other side and discard the backbone. Remove any excess neck skin. Place the chicken breast-side upwards and gently press to flatten it. The two chicken breasts will be in the middle of the spatchcock with the legs and wings on the outer sides.
- Slash the chicken skin a few times using a sharp knife and rub with the lemon juice and then the barbecue seasoning, so it is coated all over. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place all the barbecue sauce ingredients in a pan. Bring to the boil, stir well and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened and glossy. Season to taste.
- Place the chicken skin-side up on the barbecue and cook for 20-25 minutes with the lid closed. If the chicken is browning too quickly, lift the grill rack further away from the coals.
- Turn and cook for a further 15-20 minutes with the lid up.
- Push a metal skewer into the thickest part of the thigh and breast to see if the juices run clear. If they are still pink, cook for a further 5-10 minutes and test again.
- Once the juices run clear, brush the skin of the chicken with some of the barbecue sauce and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the barbecue and place on a plate, cover with foil and leave to rest for 10-15 minutes. Serve with the remaining barbecue sauce.