You might like
You are in:
- Sausage and Mustard Mash with Red Onion Gravy
Back Sausage and Mustard Mash with Red Onion Gravy
Sausage and Mustard Mash with Red Onion Gravy
Give this dish a try for a tasty mid-week meal. Red wine in the red onion gravy makes it rich and flavoursome and the mustard in the mash gives it an extra kick.
- 8 whole sausages
- 1 kg white potatoes, peeled
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp crème fraiche
- 25g butter
- 2 whole red onions. sliced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 150ml red wine
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml beef stock
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Use salt and pepper to season.
- To cook the sausages preheat the oven to 180C fan/200C/gas 6.
- Place the sausages onto a baking tray and cook for 15 minutes until golden brown and piping hot.
- Meanwhile, to make the mash, place the peeled potatoes into a large saucepan with water, and bring to the boil.
- Boil for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and starting to fall apart.
- Drain, return to the pan and mash. Set to one side.
- To make the red onion gravy melt the butter in a large frying pan, adding the sliced red onions and thyme. Sauté over a gentle heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the red wine, bring to the boil and reduce until the sauce has thickened.
- Sprinkle over the flour, stir well to combine and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beef stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the sprigs of thyme and season to taste. Set to one side.
- Add the wholegrain mustard and crème fraiche to the mash and mix well. Season to taste. Spoon a dollop of mustard mash into a serving bowl, top with two sausages and spoon over the red onion gravy.