You might like
You are in:
- Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Back Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
This cupcake recipe has a hidden dollop of lemon curd, to give the cupcakes a lovely lemony flavour - you may just intentionally forget to tell anyone else you've baked them.
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 150g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250g caster sugar
- 150g butter, softened
- 2 unwaxed lemons, juice and zest only
- 4 eggs, 2 beaten, 2 for whites only
- 6 tsp lemon curd
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Remove any wax from your lemons by rinsing them under hot running water.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Place 12 paper cupcake cases in a muffin tray.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. In another bowl, beat together 150g of the sugar and butter or spread until smooth and creamy. Stir in the lemon juice and zest then add 2 eggs along with 1 tbsp of the flour mix.
- Add half of the flour mix, stirring gently but firmly – don’t beat it. Add the remaining flour mix and repeat.
- Divide the mix equally between the paper cases and bake for 18-20 minutes until just golden and the cakes spring back when touched gently.
- Leave the cupcakes in the tray for a further 10 minutes before removing from the tray to cool on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.
- Use a sharp knife to cut a ‘cone’ shape out of the top of each cake. Don’t cut through to the bottom. Add 1/2 tsp lemon curd inside each cake then replace the sponge you’ve just cut out and place the filled cupcake back in the muffin tray.
- Whisk the 2 egg whites for about 2 minutes, building up the speed, until it looks light and fluffy. Slowly add the rest of the caster sugar. Use the meringue mix to ice the cupcakes.
- Return the cupcakes to the oven for 10 minutes to cook the meringue. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with edible stars.