You might like
You are in:
- Jerk Chicken with Rice and Peas
Back Jerk Chicken with Rice and Peas
Jerk Chicken with Rice and Peas
Inspired by West Indian home cooking, this classic Caribbean recipe will go down a storm. Leaving the chicken to marinate for over 24 hours allows the fantastic flavours to really take hold.
- 1½ kg chicken drumsticks, use wings or thighs if you prefer
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 3 chillies, finely chopped
- 3 cm ginger, peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 70ml malt vinegar
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp allground spice
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 400g long-grain rice
- 400g kidney beans, canned
- 100ml coconut milk
- 6 slices tomato and cucumber, to garnish
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Other time: Marinate for 24-36 hours
- Score each piece of chicken to the bone.
- Mix together the spring onions, chillies, ginger, 3 of the garlic cloves, the vinegar, lime juice and zest, spices, 2 tbsp of the thyme, sugar and soy sauce and season.
- Spread this over the chicken, toss well then cover and leave to marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4 and cook the chicken on a tray for 1 hour, turning halfway, until cooked through, no pink meat remains and the juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, place the rice in a pan with the kidney beans, coconut milk, 400ml water and 1 2 tsp salt. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Fluff up with a fork and add the remaining garlic and thyme. Cover again and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve the jerk chicken with the cooking juices, rice and tomato and cucumber slices.