You might like
You are in:
- Beef and Ale Stew
Back Beef and Ale Stew
Beef and Ale Stew
On chilly winter evenings, this hearty one-pot beef stew with British ale is just the thing.
- 600g shin of beef, or braising steak
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- ½ swede, peeled and diced
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 stick celery, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 500ml British ale
- 1 beef stock cube
- 10 chestnut mushrooms, halved
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a casserole pan on a medium heat, add the beef and brown on all sides then tip the beef onto a plate.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil to the casserole pan and the swede, onions, carrots and celery and fry on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the beef back to the pan with 1 tbsp of flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the ale and tomatoes, then add the stock. Give it a good stir, then season with a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper and add bay leaves.
- Bring to the boil, put the lid on place in the oven for 2 ½ hours, or until the meat falls apart easily.
- Remove the lid and add the mushrooms for the final 30 minutes of cooking.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving, then taste and adjust the seasoning, if required.