You might like
You are in:
- Spanish Ham and Mushroom Croquetas
Back Spanish Ham and Mushroom Croquetas
Spanish Ham and Mushroom Croquetas
These gluten-free rich and warming croquetas are delicious as a hot canapés with drinks or made slightly larger as a starter garnished with a crisp green salad.
Makes 16 croquetas
- 100g cured Spanish ham, finely diced
- 50g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 40g unsalted butter
- 60g corn flour
- 500ml milk
- ½ nutmeg, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 slices white Genius bread, whizzed into fine breadcrumbs
- 30g Parmesan, finely grated
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Heat the oil and butter in a medium sized pan over a medium heat. Gently fry the ham and mushrooms until light golden.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the corn flour.
- Gradually stir in the milk, then return to the heat and continue to stir until the mixture thickens. Add the nutmeg and black pepper and continue to cook, beating it as it starts to boil, until smooth. Cook for another 5 minutes until the mixture holds its shape. Spread on a large plate and leave to cool. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to firm up.
- Put the beaten eggs into a shallow wide bowl, and the breadcrumbs and cheese into another wide dish. With floured hands, roll spoonfuls of the mixture into cylinders 5cm long, cover with beaten egg then roll in the crumb mixture until evenly covered. Shake gently to remove any loose breadcrumbs.
- Fill a large pan 1/3 full with the vegetable oil. Heat until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds. Fry the croquetas in batches for a couple of minutes or crisp and golden all over, then lift out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper before serving immediately.
Genius Gluten Free