You might like
You are in:
- Pistachio and Lime Cake
Back Pistachio and Lime Cake
Pistachio and Lime Cake
Assemble this perfect pistachio and lime cake just before serving to ensure you serve it really fresh. It looks impressive, yet is really simple to make.
- 610g butter
- 500g caster sugar
- 7 eggs
- 300g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 7 limes, zest and juice only
- 175g pistachio nuts, chopped (50g finely chopped)
- 200g full-fat soft cheese, chilled
- 250g icing sugar
- 75g dark chocolate, grated (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Heat the oven to 190ºC/170ºC fan/Gas 5. Grease and line three 20cm cake tins.
- Beat 300g softened butter and 300g caster sugar until fluffy. Add five of the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one and adding 1 tbsp of flour with the final egg.
- Fold in the remaining flour and baking powder thoroughly, then add the zest of 3 limes, juice of 2 limes and 50g pistachios (finely chopped). Mix well then divide between the tins and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave in the tins to cool a little.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup. Heat the juice of 2 limes and 2 tbsp caster sugar over a low heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a simmer then remove from the heat to cool.
- While the sponges are still warm, turn them out on to a wire rack then spoon the lime syrup over each. Leave to cool completely.
- For the lime curd; place 60g cubed butter, 2 eggs, 170g caster sugar and the zest and juice of 3 limes into a small, heavy based pan and heat gently, stirring with a wooden spoon (don’t let it boil). When it coats the back of the spoon thickly, strain into a bowl. Cover and cool.
- For the frosting, beat 250g softened butter until smooth. Add the soft cheese and mix until combined. Add the zest of a lime, sift in the icing sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- To assemble, spread 2 sponges with lime curd and frosting, sprinkle with some pistachios and chocolate and sandwich all 3 together. Top with remaining frosting and pistachios and some grated chocolate.