You might like
You are in:
- Penne Bolognese Pie with Cheese and…
Back Penne Bolognese Pie with Cheese and…
Penne Bolognese Pie with Cheese and Mushroom Crust
Feast on this hearty ragu, with our own minced beef and streaky bacon enriched with red wine and sun dried tomato puree… topped with a cheese and mushroom lid with our own mature cheddar to make a posh pasta pie.
- 500g beef mince
- 500g penne pasta, cooked
- 175g button mushrooms
- 100g mature cheddar
- 1 pint milk
- 59g butter
- 40g flour
- 25g parmesan, shavings
- 50g olive oil
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100g smoked streaky bacon
- 25g sundried tomato paste
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 125ml red wine
- 5g dried oregano
- 25g fresh basil
- 1 stock cube
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water till al dente. Refresh the pasta in cold water and drain. Toss the pasta with a splash of oil, to prevent sticking and set aside.
- Next, finely chop the bacon and lightly brown in a large saucepan, with a touch of oil.
- Add the onion (finely chopped) to the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the mince little by little to the pan, browning as you go. Then, crumble the stock cube into the pan.
- Add chopped tomatoes and red wine, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- When the time is up, remove the lid and simmer for a further 10 mins until you have a sticky ragu sauce.
- In another pan another pan, slice the button mushrooms and saute in butter until soft.
- Add flour to the pan and mix well.
- When mixed, add milk little by little to make a thick sauce. Stir in the mature cheddar then remove from heat and add seasoning to taste.
- Mix cooked penne into the ragu with oregano and basil and place in a large family sized pie dish. Top with the cheese and mushroom sauce.
- Sprinkle with parmesan shavings and bake at 180 degrees for 10-15 mins or until golden.
- Serve up and enjoy!