You might like
You are in:
- Millionaire's Caramel Shortbread
Back Millionaire's Caramel Shortbread
Millionaire's Caramel Shortbread
A classic sweet treat, this millionaire's caramel shortbread recipe makes the perfect weekend bake. For the ultimate glossy, hard topping the best way to melt the chocolate is to microwave three quarters of it, then stir the remainder into the hot chocolate.
Makes 20 squares
- 200g plain flour
- 30g cornflour
- 325g butter, cubed
- 75g caster sugar
- 397g condensed milk, can
- 100g golden syrup
- 100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 100g milk chocolate, broken into pieces
- 20g white chocolate
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Other time: Allow to set before cutting into squares
- Heat the oven to 150°C/130°C fan/Gas 2. Line a 23cm square cake tin with baking parchment.
- Sift the flours into a food processor and add 175g of the butter and the caster sugar. Blitz to fine crumbs then tip into the cake tin and press down evenly using the back of a metal spoon. Bake for 35 minutes until pale golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the caramel filling by placing the rest of the butter, condensed milk and syrup into a large non-stick pan, heat gently until the butter dissolves then bring to the boil and stir until the caramel mixture thickens slightly and is a golden brown colour. Pour over the shortbread and leave to cool until it sets.
- Finally, for the topping, melt the dark and milk chocolate according to the tip at the top of the recipe. Spread it evenly over the caramel, then dot the melted white chocolate over the top and use a wooden skewer to drag into a pattern. Allow to set then cut into 20 squares.