You might like
You are in:
- Lamb with Apricot and Mint Crust
Back Lamb with Apricot and Mint Crust
Lamb with Apricot and Mint Crust
This golden-crusted lamb makes the perfect roast dinner. Prepare the apricot topping the day before to save time. The anchovies add a rich, salty flavour – don't worry, they won't taste fishy, but leave them out if you're not a fan.
- 1½ kg leg of lamb
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 shallots, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 50g anchovies, optional
- 200g dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped, plus a few more to serve
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6. Place the lamb on a roasting tray, season, then cook in the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and fry the shallots until just soft. Add the cumin, coriander, garlic, anchovies and apricots, stir and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the honey and mint, mix well and transfer to a food processor. Blitz to a coarse paste.
- Carefully remove the lamb from the oven after 1 hour 20 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4. Spread the apricot mixture all over the lamb and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, cover loosely with foil and allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and serve.