You might like
You are in:
- Golden Glazed Turkey with Madeira Gravy
Back Golden Glazed Turkey with Madeira Gravy
Golden Glazed Turkey with Madeira Gravy
This recipe shows you how to create the perfect turkey for Christmas with delicious Madeira gravy to complete your centrepiece.
- 1 whole fresh British turkey, cooking times based on a 4.5kg turkey
- 1 orange, zest and juice only
- 1 lemon, zest and juice only
- 150g butter, softened
- 50g caster sugar
- 200ml Madeira
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 600ml chicken stock, made from a cube
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4. Remove the giblets from the turkey and place the zested, juiced orange and lemon in the cavity.
- Mix 100g of the butter with the zests and smear under the skin of the turkey.
- Make the glaze. Place the orange and lemon juices in a pan with the sugar, boil for 1 minute then allow to cool a little. Whisk in the remaining butter and set aside.
- Place the turkey in a roasting tin, cover loosely with foil and roast for 3 hours. For the final 30 minutes, remove the foil, brush the glaze liberally all over the bird and raise the oven temperature. Check your turkey is done and continue roasting if necessary until cooked through and the juices run clear. When it’s done, remove from the oven and rest on a warm plate for at least 30 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, make the gravy. Carefully tip all the fat and juices from the turkey roasting tin into a jug and spoon off any excess fat. Place the tin over a medium heat and pour in the Madeira. Bring to the boil, scraping the bits off the bottom of the tin. Continue to heat until the alcohol has reduced by half.
- Sprinkle over the flour and whisk for 1 minute. Stir in the stock and reserved turkey juices. Bring back to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes, whisking frequently to avoid lumps, until smooth and thickened. Season to taste then pour into a warm jug to serve.