You might like
You are in:
- Basic Pancake Mix
Back Basic Pancake Mix
Basic Pancake Mix
Fancy a simple sweet treat? These delicious pancakes can be whipped up using ingredients from your kitchen cupboard – just add your family’s favourite topping or browse our pancake ideas.
- 125g plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp butter, melted then slightly cooled
- 1 splash vegetable or sunflower oil, for frying
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Create a well in the centre and add the egg with about a third of the milk and all of the melted butter. Combine everything with a whisk (an electric one works well). Once all the flour is incorporated, add the remaining milk and, using your whisk, combine it all. Transfer to a jug and rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- To make a classic pancake, heat a tiny bit of oil in a non-stick frying pan, just to coat the pan. The pan must get very hot (you'll start to see smoke) before you add any batter.
- Add about a ladleful of pancake batter and swirl it about to cover the bottom of the pan. Turn the heat down slightly and cook through on both sides until golden. Use a spatula to turn it, or flip it gently with a flick of your wrist if you’re feeling lucky. Repeat with the rest of the batter. Serve the pancakes immediately with your favourite topping.