You might like
You are in:
- Carrot Cake Muffins with Coconut Frosting
Back Carrot Cake Muffins with Coconut Frosting
Carrot Cake Muffins with Coconut Frosting
The spices in these muffins create a rich aromatic flavour and the creamy coconut frosting is the perfect topping to give these muffins a unique twist.
Makes 6 muffins
- 100g carrots, grated
- 2 whole eggs
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125g soft brown sugar
- 60g buckwheat flour
- 60g self raising flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 50g coconut oil
- 100g icing sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Preheat the oven to 170C fan/190C/gas 5.
- Place the grated carrots, eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and soft brown sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Sift the buckwheat flour, self-raising flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon and mixed spice into the carrot mix and stir. Ensuring all of the ingredients are evenly combined.
- Line a 6 hole muffin tin with six muffin cases and evenly divide the mix between the cases.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Place on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- For the frosting place the coconut oil in a stand mixer fitted with a beater attachment. Alternatively use a wooden spoon and mixing bowl. Beat for a few minutes to soften.
- Sift the icing sugar into the bowl and add the vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Beat until smooth, scraping the bowl down if needed. If the icing is too stiff add 1-2 tbsp of boiling water.
- Evenly spread the frosting on top of the muffins. To help spread the frosting, you could heat a teaspoon in a cup of boiling water.