- Spiced Shredded Lamb
Spiced Shredded Lamb
Whole shoulder of lamb brushed with curry paste and cooked low and slow
with hot lamb stock, tomato purée, chopped tomatoes and chick peas. Shredded, garnished with freshly chopped
herbs and served with warmed flat or naan breads.
If preferred, try this recipe with half a
shoulder or whole leg of lamb.
- 1.8 kg Shoulder of Lamb
- 125g Curry Paste, of your choice (we used madras)
- 2 tbs Tomato Puree
- 400g Chopped Tomatoes
- 300ml Lamb or Vegetable Stock
- 400g Chickpeas, drained
- 1 handful Mint, chopped to garnish
- 1 handful Coriander, to garnish
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 3/160°C/140°C fan.
- Put the curry paste, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes and stock in a large non-stick roasting tin, approximately 40 x 30cm. Stir well.
- Place the lamb on a chopping board and make several slits over the surface with a sharp knife. Season on both sides and transfer to the roasting tin. Spoon over the curry mixture.
- Cover with baking parchment then foil and roast for 4 hours, turning occasionally. 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the chickpeas and continue to cook uncovered.
- Remove the joint from the tin, transfer onto a chopping board and ‘pull’ the cooked lamb apart by securing with a fork and shredding meat with a second fork.
- Return the meat to the sauce, garnish with the herbs and serve with warm flatbreads or naans, a selection of relishes and salad.