You might like
You are in:
- Pumpkin Chili
Back Pumpkin Chili
Pumpkins are not just for carving… use up spare pumpkins in wintery months to create this deliciously heartwarming chilli recipe.
- 1 small/med pumpkin
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 1 onion, large
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 800g chopped tomatoes, 400g
- 1 red chilli
- 400g red kidney beans, drained
- 100g frozen sweetcorn
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 dash Salt
- 1 dash fresh ground black pepper
- 2 dashes balsamic vinegar
- 1 handful jalapeños, sliced
- 1 tub soured cream
- 1 good handful spring onions, chopped
- 1 handful coriander
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Outside pumpkin season, use two butternut squash instead
- Peel the pumpkin or squash and cut into 1-inch thick pieces.
- In a large pan heat the olive oil over a medium heat and add the onion and red peppers and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin and garlic and lightly brown.
- Add the chopped chilli, chilli powder, cumin and cinnamon and cook for 2 minutes then add the tomato puree and stir in.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, red kidney beans, sweetcorn, salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and cook for 45 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
- When cooked add a dash or 2 of balsamic vinegar.
- Serve up with chopped spring onions, jalapeños and a bowl of sour cream.