You might like
You are in:
- Steak and Ale Pie
Steak and Ale Pie
Steak and Ale Pie
Tuck into the tastiness of a real (ale) classic. This easy recipe uses our favourite British steak beef for pie-making perfection, and goes wonderfully with our in-season veggies.
- 500g steak beef, diced
- 200g smoked bacon lardons
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 Sprigs thyme (fresh cut)
- 1 bay leaf
- 300ml beef stock
- 500ml ale
- 1 Dessert Spoons tomato puree
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pack ready rolled shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Preheat oven to 180℃/150F/gas 4.
- Heat 1tsp of oil in a casserole pan, on a medium heat, and add the beef. Brown on all sides, then tip the beef onto a plate.
- Fry off the bacon lardons for 2 minutes, then tip them onto the beef plate.
- Add 1tbsp of oil to the casserole pan, add the onions and fry them on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the beef back into the pan, stir in the flour and cook for around 2 minutes.
- Let the flour will absorb the delicious juices and thicken the sauce, then stir in the tomato puree.
- Gradually stir in your ale, followed by the beef stock. Then season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper - then add bay leaves and thyme.
- Bring to the boil and place in the oven for 2 1/4 hours, or until the meat falls apart easily.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if required and tip into a pie dish. Leave to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Dampen the edge of the dish with water and lay the pastry over the dish and press down firmly around the edge
- Leave for 10 minutes to allow the pastry to rest and then trim off excess pastry, brush with beaten egg and make 3 small holes in the pastry to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, check the meat is piping hot and serve.