You might like
You are in:
- Spinach and Cheshire Cheese Souffle
Back Spinach and Cheshire Cheese Souffle
Spinach and Cheshire Cheese Souffle
Try these light and fluffy spinach and Cheshire cheese soufflés, they're great for a starter or even a light snack.
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 150g Cheshire cheese, grated
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 200g baby leaf spinach
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tsp sunflower oil, for greasing
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and stir in the flour, mix well and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook, stirring until you have a smooth, thickened sauce. Stir in the cheese and mustard and continue stirring until the cheese has melted.
- Place the spinach in a pan with 1 tbsp water, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Drain well and chop finely, fold into the cheese sauce with the egg yolks and beat well.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly oil 4 individual ramekin dishes with a little sunflower oil.
- In a clean grease-free bowl, whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk until stiff, then using a metal spoon carefully fold into the spinach and cheese mixture.
- Divide between the 4 ramekin dishes and bake for 25 minutes, until well risen and the tops are golden. Serve at once.