You might like
You are in:
- Quinoa Sushi
Back Quinoa Sushi
Try a trendy twist on a delicious tradition with these Quinoa Sushi rolls. We love filling with a bit of shredded salmon and avocado, yum!
- 170g quinoa, use brown rice if you prefer
- 1 tbsp Lucy Bee coconut oil
- 1 dash rice vinegar
- 5 nori sheets
- 3 filler ingredients, we suggest sliced avocado, shredded smoked salmon, cream cheese, finely sliced red pepper or sliced cucumber (see products below)
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
You'll need 225ml of water for this recipe.
- Place the rice or quinoa in a saucepan. Add the water and the coconut oil, with the rice vinegar if using. Over a low heat, gently simmer the rice or quinoa until cooked, adding a little more water if necessary to prevent it from burning. Alternatively, cook the rice or quinoa according to the packet instructions. Once cooked, set the rice or quinoa aside to cool.
- Lay a nori sheet on a lined tray, rough side up. Spread a thin layer of cooked, cooled rice or quinoa evenly over the sheet, leaving a 2.5cm border on the side furthest away from you.
- Scatter over your choice of filling, without overcrowding them.
- Pick up the side of the nori sheet closest to you and gently start to roll the sheet, keeping it nice and tight. When you get to the side furthest from you, wet it with your finger to ensure that the nori sticks together. Repeat with the remaining nori sheets, rice and fillings.
- Wet a very sharp knife and cut the rolled sushi into roughly 2.5cm sushi bites, keeping the knife wet in between each cut, and avoiding touching the nori too much with your hands. Each nori sheet will make between 6-8 sushi bites.
- Serve the sushi on plates with a bowl of soy sauce for dipping as the perfect finger food.
Coconut Oil: Recipes for Real Life by Lucy Bee (Quadrille £15) Photography: Dan Jones
Coconut Oil: Nature’s Perfect Ingredient by Lucy Bee (Quadrille £15) Photography: Ria Osborne