- One-pan Haggerty
traditional Geordie recipe has been updated to make a one-pot meal that uses up
leftover bacon and cheese. All the family will enjoy this hearty and economical
- 15g butter
- 2 rashers lean smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 large leek
- 600g potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced, Maris Pipers work well
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 sprinkle black pepper, to season
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Melt half of the butter in a 27cm ovenproof frying pan, and gently fry the bacon and leeks for 3-4 minutes until the leeks have softened. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate.
- Remove the pan from the heat and arrange a layer of potatoes in the bottom of the pan, then a layer of onions, a layer of bacon and leeks followed by a sprinkling of cheese and parsley. Season with pepper then repeat finishing with a layer of potatoes.
- Cut the remaining butter into small pieces and dot over the top layer then cover the pan with a tight fitting lid or foil and cook over a gentle heat for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove the lid and place the pan under a hot grill for 3 -4 minutes to brown.
- Serve directly from the pan or loosen the edges of the pan haggerty from the frying pan with a heatproof spatula and turn out onto a plate and serve in wedges.
This delicious recipe was donated by Love Food Hate Waste UK. Find out more at www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/recipes.