- Napolina Lentil Bolognese
Napolina Lentil Bolognese
A vegetarian spin on the traditional Bolognese sauce recipe,
this dish uses delicately textured Lentils full of protein and fibre. Lentils
are naturally low in fat, sugar and salt and count towards one of your 5 fruit
and vegetables per day. Pair with Napolina 50%/50% pasta for extra 'hidden'
whole wheat. A perfect combination.
- 2 tbsps Napolina Olive Oil
- 2 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Lentils
- 2 Napolina Chopped Tomatoes
- 4 tbsps Napolina Double Concentrate Tomato Purée
- 1 bay leaf
- 500g Napolina 50%/50% Spaghetti
- 2 good handfuls Parmesan cheese or vegetarian hard cheese, to serve
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper
Total time required
- Cooking time:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan.
- Chop the onions, garlic, carrots and celery sticks. Add to the pan.
- Cook gently for 5 to 10 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
- Stir in the lentils, chopped tomatoes, purée and bay leaf and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes, bring a large pan of water to the boil and season with salt. Add 500g spaghetti and boil for 10 minutes until al dente.
- Season the Bolognese sauce with salt and pepper and remove the bay leaf.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce, tossing until all of the pasta is coated.
- Serve with the grated Parmesan cheese or vegetarian hard cheese.
This recipe has been kindly provided by Napolina.