You might like
You are in:
- Mediterranean Sausage Casserole
Back Mediterranean Sausage Casserole
Mediterranean Sausage Casserole
This one makes the most of our own sausage slowly casseroled in a robust sauce of red onion, tomato, garlic, herbs and fennel seeds, enriched with red and yellow peppers then dotted with cherry tomatoes and sweet potato. Simmered to perfection and finished with oregano and torn basil.
- 10 sausages, thick, good quality
- 50ml olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 250g sweet potatoes
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh basil
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1½ tbsp plain flour
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
- Prepare the vegetables. Finely chop the onion, slice the peppers (approx. 20mm slices), crush the garlic, peel and dice the sweet potato and halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Next, prepare the herbs. Strip and chop the rosemary and thyme.
- Fry the sausages in a little oil, in a pan, until well browned.
- Meanwhile, in a casserole dish, sauté the onions, fennel and garlic in oil for 5 minutes without allowing to brown.
- Add the chopped rosemary, thyme and peppers to the casserole dish.
- Add the tinned tomatoes along with approx. half a tin of cold water. Bring to the boil then simmer.
- Cover tightly and place in the oven for 1 hour at 160 degrees.
- When the time is up, remove from oven and add the cherry tomatoes and sweet potato. Cover and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from oven and stir in oregano and torn basil.
- Season to taste and tuck in.