You might like
You are in:
- Kaheer - Indian Rice Pudding
Back Kaheer - Indian Rice Pudding
Kaheer - Indian Rice Pudding
A tasty rice pudding perfect for Diwali celebrations.
- 2 Pints Whole Milk
- 2 tbsp Basmati Rice
- 4 Whole Green Cardamon Pods, lightly crushed
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 Handful Unsalted Pistachios
- 1 Handful Unsalted Cashew Nuts
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Pour the milk into a heavy-based pan and heat gently.
- Add the lightly crushed cardamom pods and rice to the milk.
- Slowly bring to the boil then lower the heat and simmer rapidly, stirring from time to time to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the milk is reduced by about half.
- While the milk is simmering, roughly chop the pistachios.
- When the milk has reduced by half or more, remove and discard the cardamom pods.
- Transfer the rice pudding to a bowl. Add the sugar and taste, adding more sugar if you want it sweeter.
- Add the chopped pistachios, stir well, and leave to cool.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and cool in the fridge for at least four hours or overnight.
- Sprinkle a chopped pistachios and cashew nuts on the top.