You might like
You are in:
- Hot and Sour Soup
Back Hot and Sour Soup
Hot and Sour Soup
True to its name, this soup is both spicy and sour. Serve it as part of a Chinese New Year feast.
- 600ml chicken stock, made from a cube
- 50g pork loin, finely sliced
- 50g carrots, peeled and finely sliced
- 50g water chestnuts, drained from the can and finely sliced
- 50g bamboo shoots, drained from the can and finely sliced
- 70g mixed mushrooms
- 25g frozen peas
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 dash sesame oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- In a wok or saucepan bring the chicken stock to the boil.
- Add the pork loin, carrots, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, mushrooms, peas, rice vinegar, sugar and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes until the vegetables are just tender.
- Mix the cornflour with 1 tbsp water, add to the soup and bring to the boil to thicken.
- Lower the heat, add a dash of sesame oil to taste then pour in the lightly beaten egg. Gently swirl the egg around the pan until set.
- Heat until the pork is cooked through and serve.