You might like
You are in:
- Eyeball Cauldron Halloween Cake
Back Eyeball Cauldron Halloween Cake
Eyeball Cauldron Halloween Cake
This eerie eyeball cauldron cake is really simple and doesn't require much baking knowledge, which gives you more time to make sure those eyeballs and the cauldron look as realistic as possible to give your guests the creeps.
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 450g sponge mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 black food colouring
- 1 dusting icing sugar
- 1 kg ready-to-roll icing
- 2 tbsp seedless raspberry jam
- 1 bag marshmallows, as many as needed to line your cauldron
- 1 red food colouring
- 1 green food colouring
- 1 black writing icing
- 1 blue writing icing
- 170g buttercream flavour frosting
- 6 black jelly beans
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Head down to the pick 'n' mix counter to pick up jelly snakes and teeth to really add to the effect.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/ Gas 5. Lightly oil a 20.5cm Pyrex bowl.
- Make up the cake mix with the eggs and 6 tbsp water. Pour into the oiled bowl and bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Turn the cake out of the bowl and allow to cool.
- Knead the black food colouring into one and a half packs of the white icing (remember to wear protective gloves while using food colouring). Roll out two thirds of this on a surface dusted with icing sugar into a circle large enough to cover the cake.
- Turn the cake upside down so the flat side faces down. Brush the cake with warmed raspberry jam and lift the icing over it, smoothing down the edges with your hands. Turn the cake the other way up and lift onto a serving plate.
- Roll the remaining black icing into a long, thin strip and lay the marshmallows in a line on top. Brush the edge of the icing with water and lift up the edges to enclose the marshmallows and form a long tube. Place this on top of the cake to form the rim of the cauldron.
- Roll the white icing into 8 balls. Paint on veins with the red food colouring and pipe on the eye using the writing icing.
- Mix the frosting in a bowl with some green food colouring and a few drops of black. Spoon into the centre of the cauldron and fluff up with the back of a spoon. Put the eyeballs in the green ‘soup’ with the jelly beans. We added jelly snakes and teeth too for maximum effect!