You might like
You are in:
- Coconut Jerk Chicken with Rice and Peas
Back Coconut Jerk Chicken with Rice and Peas
Coconut Jerk Chicken with Rice and Peas
If you're after a taste of the West Indies, then this is the recipe for you. The coconut jerk marinade tastes sublime on the chicken, couple with rice and peas and you'll be whisked away to the Caribbean.
- 950g chicken drums and thighs
- 400ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp jerk seasoning
- 2 limes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 bunch salad onions, roughly chopped
- 200g basmati rice
- 400g kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 150g frozen peas
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Other time: Marinate for at least 15 mins
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4. Mix the jerk seasoning with 3 tbsp of the coconut milk and the zest and juice of 1 lime, then smear this paste over the chicken.
- Leave to marinate for at least 15 minutes, then roast for 35-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small pan and cook the salad onions for a few minutes until softened.
- Pour the remaining coconut milk into a jug and make up to 600ml with cold water. Pour this, with the rice and the beans, into the pan with the onions.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked and the liquid has all been absorbed.
- Add the peas for the last 2-3 minutes then season and serve with the chicken and the leftover lime to squeeze over.