You might like
You are in:
- Classic Lasagne
Back Classic Lasagne
The ideal comfort food! Make this lasagne with the perfect combination of a homemade rich and meaty ragu and a creamy béchamel sauce.
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- 3 whole white onions, two diced, one sliced
- 750g beef mince
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 1 medium bay leaf
- 1 litre milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 16 sheets lasagne sheets
- 150g spinach leaves, washed
- 75g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 25g Parmesan cheese, grated
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Salt and pepper are needed for seasoning.
- To make the beef ragu drizzle the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the diced onion and sauté for 5 minutes over a high heat
- Add the minced beef and garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato purée, mix and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and stock, mix well. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes uncovered.
- To make the béchamel sauce melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the sliced onion, plain flour and bay leaf. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add milk to the pan in small additions. Each time allow the milk to warm through and then whisk to combine. This will help to avoid lumps.
- Once you have added all of the milk bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes to thicken.
- Strain into a large bowl and discard the onion and bay leaf by removing with a spoon and fork.
- Season with salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Set to one side.
- To assemble the lasagne preheat the oven to 180C fan/200C/gas 6.
- Spoon two ladles of beef ragu onto the base of a large lasagne dish that's approximately 28x28cm.
- Top with 4 lasagne sheets.
- Spoon over 1½ ladles of béchamel sauce and top with half of the spinach leaves.
- Top with 4 more lasagne sheets.
- Repeat with another layer of beef ragu and 4 more lasagne sheets.
- Top with the remaining beef ragu and béchamel.
- Sprinkle over the grated cheeses and place the lasagne dish onto a baking tray.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow the lasagne to rest for 15 minutes before serving.