You might like
You are in:
- Cheesy Smoked Haddock Soufflés
Back Cheesy Smoked Haddock Soufflés
Cheesy Smoked Haddock Soufflés
At just 248 calories per serving, these cheesy smoked haddock soufflés are perfect as a smart starter or a light lunchtime treat.
- 200g smoked haddock, skinned
- 300ml milk
- 40g butter, melted
- 2 tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs
- 30g plain flour
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 60g Parmesan, grated
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, snipped
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Place the fish in a pan with the milk and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and carefully lift the fish out of the milk. Set aside the milk then flake the flesh, removing any small bones.
- Use a little butter to brush the insides of 6 individual ramekin dishes and sprinkle with breadcrumbs so they coat the sides lightly. Divide the flaked fish between the dishes.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6. Pour the remaining butter into a pan and add the flour. Mix well then gradually add the milk that the fish was cooked in and heat, stirring until you have a smooth thickened sauce. Beat in the mustard and Parmesan, then remove from the heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Separate the eggs. Set aside the egg whites and beat the yolks into the cheese sauce with the chives. Season with ground black pepper.
- Whisk the whites until they form soft peaks. Using a figure of eight motion, fold the egg whites into the cheese mixture with a metal spoon – take care not to knock too much air out of the egg whites.
- Divide the mixture between the ramekins, run a round-ended knife around the edge of each ramekin and bake for 25 minutes until well risen.