You might like
You are in:
- Boo Brownies
Back Boo Brownies
Delicious brownies topped with meringue ghosts are a fun sweet treat for Halloween.
- 180g butter, cut into small cubes
- 180g dark chocolate, broken into small cubes
- 80g plain flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- 5 large eggs
- 390g caster sugar
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 black writing icing
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
If you don’t have a piping bag, use a large sandwich bag with the corner snipped off.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4. Line a 20cm square cake tin with baking parchment.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and heat until they have dissolved and you have a smooth mixture. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, sift together the flour and cocoa. Whisk 3 of the eggs and 270g sugar together with an electric beater for 5 minutes until pale and foamy and the mixture has doubled in size.
- Fold the melted chocolate into the whisked egg then gently fold in the flour and cocoa using a metal spoon. Pour the mix into the prepared tin, level with the back of a spoon and bake for 25 minutes. When it’s cooked it will have a shiny, papery crust; if it’s still a little wobbly, return to the oven for 5 minutes. Allow to cool in the tin then peel off the paper and cut into 12 squares.
- To make the meringue ghosts, place 2 large egg whites in a large, clean, grease-free bowl and whisk with electric beater until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue whisking until the mixture forms soft peaks. Add the rest of the sugar a spoonful at a time, whisking after each addition, until you have a smooth, thick, glossy mixture.
- Heat the oven to 120°C/100°C fan/gas 12 . Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment. Spoon the meringue mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle.
- Pipe small mounds of meringue on to the baking sheets (you might get more than 12, but extras can be saved and used later). Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes, until crisp and dry to the touch. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- When cool, use the black writing icing to draw eyes and a mouth on each. Top each brownie with a meringue ghost to serve.