You might like
You are in:
- The Ultimate Burger
Back The Ultimate Burger
The Ultimate Burger
There's nothing quite like the smell of a burger sizzling on the barbecue. Here, we give you the ultimate recipe to pull together your own burger from scratch. It works just as well on a griddle as well, in case you're after a great burger in the colder months.
- 600g lean minced steak
- 1 tbsp english mustard
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 100g extra-mature Cheddar, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 rashers back bacon
- 4 bun
- 1 ketchup
- 8 slices gherkin
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- ½ lettuce, sliced
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Other time: 30 mins chilling
Our chef says, "I prefer not to add eggs to my burgers as it can make them rubbery. Instead, just work the meat lightly until it comes together. Cubes of Cheddar in the patty melt to give little bubbles of cheese when cooked."
- Place the mince in a bowl, season well then work the meat together with your hands until it becomes sticky. Incorporate the mustard and chives, then carefully work in the cubes of cheese.
- Shape the mix into 4 patties, about 9cm across, and make a small indentation in the middle of each to stop them turning into balls as they cook.
- Place on a plate, cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Rub the burgers with the oil and cook on a hot barbecue or griddle for 4-5 minutes each side or until cooked through and no pink meat remains. Set aside to rest.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon until crisp and toast the cut sides of the rolls on the griddle or barbecue.
- To serve, top each base with a burger, ketchup, gherkin, tomato, bacon, lettuce. Finish with the top of the roll and secure with a skewer.