You might like
You are in:
- Starburst Christmas Cake
Back Starburst Christmas Cake
Starburst Christmas Cake
A really easy Christmas cake recipe with fabulously festive decoration.
- 200g Butter, softened
- 200g Dark brown sugar
- 225g Plain flour
- 4 Eggs, medium
- 1 kg Dried mixed fruit
- 600g Icing, ready to roll
- 50g Icing sugar, for dusting
- 2 tbsp Apricot jam
- 200g Golden marzipan
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Heat the oven to 150°C/130°C fan/Gas 3. Fully line a 20cm round, loose-bottomed cake tin with baking parchment. Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add 2 tbsp flour and the eggs and beat well. Sift in the rest of the flour and fold in. Mix in the fruit then spoon into the tin and level.
- Cover the tin with a circle of lightly oiled baking parchment, bake for 2 hours 30 minutes. Remove the paper ‘lid’ and bake for a further 30 minutes.
- Insert a metal skewer into the centre. If it comes out clean it’s cooked. If not return the cake to the oven for 10 minutes or so, then retest.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then remove and leave on a wire rack until cold.
- To ice the cake, warm the jam and brush it over the cooled cake. Cover it with rolled out marzipan and dampen with water. Roll out 500g icing on a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar to a circle large enough to cover all the cake.
- To make the stars, lightly dust a surface with icing sugar and roll out 100g white ready-to-roll icing and use cutters to stamp out various star shapes.
- With some of the larger star shapes, stamp out a smaller star from the middle. Carefully lift all your stars onto a tray lined with baking parchment and allow to harden overnight.
- Decorate a few of the stars with edible gold spray (optional). Arrange your stars randomly over the top of the cake, leaning them up against each other. Tie a ribbon around the side of the cake to finish it off.