You might like
You are in:
- Spiced Plum Chutney
Back Spiced Plum Chutney
Spiced Plum Chutney
The spices in this chutney make it a dinner table delight. Serve with a meal, as a snack or give it away in jars as a gift. If giving as gifts, Kilner jars are lovely, and handwritten labels add a personal touch.
- 1½ kg ripe plums
- 500g cooking apples
- 2 oranges
- 200g dried figs, chopped finely
- 100g dried cranberries
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 300ml red wine vinegar
- 500g demerara sugar
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Halve the plums and remove the centre stone, then peel, core and dice the apples.
- Finely grate the zest from the oranges and squeeze the juice.
- Place in a large pan with the plums and diced apples.
- Add the figs, cranberries, ginger, cinnamon, vinegar and sugar. Cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue cooking for 1 hour, stirring from time to time, until thick and syrupy.
- Wash 2 to 3 jam jars in warm soapy water, rinse thoroughly in warm water and dry. Place in a moderate oven for 5 minutes to warm through.
- Carefully ladle the syrup into the clean, warmed jars, cover the tops with a circle of wax paper and seal with a disc of cling film or the jar lid.
- Allow the jars to cool, label and store in a cool place. Use within 6 months.