You might like
You are in:
- Mini Lemon Meringue Pies
Back Mini Lemon Meringue Pies
Mini Lemon Meringue Pies
Impress your party guests with these delicious bite-sized treats.
- 375g shortcrust pastry
- 50g flour, for dusting
- 100g butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 lemons, finely grated zest and juice only
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 50g icing sugar, for dusting
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Other time: Freeze for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.Roll out the pastry on a clean surface lightly dusted with flour and use a 5cm round cutter to stamp out 24 rounds. Use them to line two 12-hole bun tins. Prick each base with a fork and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Line each pastry case with a circle of baking parchment and a few baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes, remove beans and paper and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the butter and 100g sugar in a small non-stick pan with the lemon zest and juice. Heat, stirring, until the sugar and butter dissolve.
- Mix the cornflour to a paste with a little cold water and whisk into the lemon mixture with the egg yolks. Cook over a very low heat, stirring, until it thickens. Remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl and cover with baking parchment until cool, then spoon into the pastry cases.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until they form soft peaks. Add the remaining sugar a spoonful at a time, whisk until you have a smooth, thick, glossy meringue. Top each little tart with some of the meringue.
- Return to the oven for 3 to 4 minutes until the meringue just begins to take on a little colour. Serve decorated with a light dusting of icing sugar.