You might like
You are in:
- Lemon and Strawberry Sponge Cake
Back Lemon and Strawberry Sponge Cake
Lemon and Strawberry Sponge Cake
This triple-layered twist on the classic Victoria sponge is sure to impress. Swap strawberries for your favourite in season fruit if you like.
- 250g butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 250g self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp milk
- 300ml double cream
- 225g strawberries, chopped
- 10 tbsp lemon curd
- 200g icing sugar, sieved
- 1 few drops yellow food colouring
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4. Beat together the butter and sugar then add the eggs, flour and milk and beat well until the mixture is light and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into a lined 18cm cake tin and bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes or until firm to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling, whisk the cream until thick but not stiff. Chop 150g of the strawberries and fold into the cream.
- Trim the top of the cake to level it and slice horizontally into three. Spread filling on to two slices and, using a teaspoon, dollop lemon curd over. Put the layers back together, with the flat base on top.
- Place the icing sugar in a bowl. Add cold water a little at a time and mix to a thick, flowing consistency. Add food colouring to tint the icing sugar pale yellow then spread icing over the cake, letting it dribble down the sides. Decorate with strawberries and leave to set.