You might like
You are in:
- Chestnut Mushroom and Leek Pies
Back Chestnut Mushroom and Leek Pies
Chestnut Mushroom and Leek Pies
This warming, wintry veggie dish can be whipped up the day before you eat it - ready to simply pop in the oven when you’re ready to serve.
Makes 6 6 pies
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, wiped and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 3 tbsp crème fraiche
- 450g puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten, for glaze
- 300g leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and stamp out 12 x 9cm discs. Dampen the edges of 6 pastry discs with a little beaten egg then spoon equal amounts of the filling onto each one.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Heat the oil in a frying pan, then add the mushrooms and leeks. Fry the mixture gently until softened.
- Add the garlic and tarragon and mix well.
- Press a disc of pastry (the lid) over the top of each filled 'base' to create 6 pies - press the edges down well to seal.
- Cook for a further 2 minutes then remove from the heat and mix in the crème fraiche and season.
- Using a small, sharp knife, make a pattern around each top and lift the pies onto a baking sheet.
- Brush the pies with beaten egg and bake for 30 minutes until the pastry is well risen and a lovely golden colour.