You might like
You are in:
- Butternut Squash, Feta and Spinach Pies
Back Butternut Squash, Feta and Spinach Pies
Butternut Squash, Feta and Spinach Pies
These individual vegetarian pies are real comfort food.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 40g pine nuts
- 500g butternut squash
- 200g feta cheese
- 150g spinach leaves
- 100ml vegetable stock, made from a cube
- 500g puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten, to glaze
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- To make the filling, heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion, garlic and mushrooms, until softened. Add the pine nuts to the pan, cook for a further 2 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the diced butternut squash for 15 minutes until just tender. Drain and toss into the onion mixture along with the crumbled feta, spinach and stock. Pop the lid on the pan and cook for 2 minutes so the spinach wilts.
- Divide the mixture equally between 4 individual pie dishes.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to about ½cm thick.
- Cut thin strips of pastry wide enough to go all the way around the lips of the pie dishes, brush the rims with the beaten egg and press the pastry strips down well.
- Lift lids onto each pie from the rolled-out pastry, press the edges well to seal, pinch the edges and use any trimmings to decorate your pies. Brush with beaten egg to glaze and bake for 35 minutes until pastry is golden.