You might like
You are in:
- Brown Butter and Cinnamon Cakes with…
Back Brown Butter and Cinnamon Cakes with…
Brown Butter and Cinnamon Cakes with Port Poached Fruit
These tasty little cakes will look great at your Christmas table. The port-poached fruit makes this dessert really special. Try not to stir the plums too much or they will loose there shape.
- 90g butter
- 85g ground almonds
- 150g icing sugar
- 35g plain flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 large egg whites
- 50g sugar
- 250ml ruby port
- ½ vanilla pod
- 1 small orange
- 4 ripe plums
- 250ml whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 icing sugar
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Heat the oven to 190C/ 170C fan/ Gas 5. Butter the 6 mini tins or a 6-hole muffin tin.
- Melt the butter in a pan and cook until it browns, then pour into a small bowl and allow to cool a little.
- Meanwhile, sift together the ground almonds, icing sugar, flour cinnamon and a pinch of salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites and another pinch of salt until soft peaks form, then gently fold in the almond mixture followed by the browned butter.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and bake for about 20 minutes or until the cakes spring back when pressed gently. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, place the sugar with 2 tbsp water in a pan and heat to melt the sugar. Add the port, vanilla pod and the scraped seeds and the orange zest and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, add the plums and cook for a couple of minutes until the fruit is tender but keeps its shape. Remove the fruit from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Bring the poaching liquid to the boil and cook for 10 minutes until reduced and syrupy. Remove the vanilla pod and discard.
- Whisk the cream, sugar and vanilla extract together until soft peaks form. Slice each cake into 2 horizontally and sandwich back together with the cream. Dust with icing sugar and serve with the poached fruit and port syrup on the side.