- Boston Bean Pot
Boston Bean Pot
a tasty mid-week family meal that uses up store cupboard ingredients and spices
with extra meatballs to freeze for a second meal.
Makes 12 extra meatballs for freezing
- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- 750g turkey breast mince
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed, 2 for the meat balls and 1 for the Boston beans
- 2 onions, finely diced, 1 for the meat balls and 1 for the Boston beans
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, 1 for the meat balls and 1 for the Boston beans
- 1 sprinkle black pepper, to season
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 410g baked beans
- 200ml vegetable stock, made from 1 cube
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C Fan/gas 7.
- To make the breadcrumbs tear the bread and place in a food processor and blitz for a few seconds until the bread resembles fine breadcrumbs. Alternatively finely grate the bread.
- Place the breadcrumbs plus the mince, turmeric, chilli powder, 1 onion and 2 crushed garlic cloves, into the bowl and mix well until the ingredients are combined then using your hands shape into 24 equal sized balls about the size of a walnut. Set 12 balls aside to freeze and place the remaining balls on a lightly greased shallow non-stick roasting pan. Brush the balls lightly with 1 tbsp of the oil and bake for 20 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile to prepare the Boston beans heat the oil in a non-stick saucepan and gently fry the remaining garlic, onion and pepper for 5 minutes until softened.
- Sprinkle over the smoked paprika and cook gently for a minute then add the BBQ sauce, baked beans and half of the stock. Simmer gently for 10 minutes, adding the remaining stock if the sauce is thick.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and add to sauce, stirring gently until the balls are coated in sauce.
This delicious recipe was donated by Love Food Hate Waste UK. Find out more at www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/recipes.