You might like
You are in:
- Beefed-up Casserole
Back Beefed-up Casserole
Wrap yourself in a blanket of beef stew comfort food when the weather turns colder, and use wonky veg ingredients that look every bit as delicious as 'normal' veg in the pot when in season.
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 800g braising steak, cubed
- 400g shallots, peeled
- 2 peppers, deseeded and diced
- 400g mushrooms, wiped, and halved if large
- 2 tbsps tomato purée
- 500ml ale
- 400ml beef stockmade from a cube
- 2 tbsps Bisto Gravy Powder
- 400g carrots , peeled & chopped
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the braising steak. Stir fry over a very high heat to seal the meat on all sides then add the shallots, peppers and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Mix together the tomato purée, stock and ale and pour over the meat and vegetables.Bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour until cooked through and the meat is tender.
- Mix the gravy powder to a thin paste with a little cold water and add to the stew. Continue stirring it in until the gravy thickens.
- Divide the stew into 2 batches – half can be sprinkled with parsley and eaten at once with mashed potato and the other half can be cooled then frozen for a later date.