You might like
You are in:
- Basic Bread Dough
Back Basic Bread Dough
Basic Bread Dough
It's really easy to bake a perfect crusty white loaf using this basic bread dough recipe, or use it for other savoury bakes.
Makes 1 900g white loaf
- 550g strong white flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 7g yeast
- 1 tsp caster sugar
Total time required
- Preparation time:
- Other time: 2 hours proving time | 45 minutes rising time if continuing to make crusty white loaf | 30 minutes cooking time if continuing to make crusty white loaf
You will require 350ml of warm water for this recipe.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and stir in the salt, yeast and sugar.
- Make a well in the centre and add the water. Bring the mixture together with a spatula initially, then use clean hands to mix together thoroughly and form a soft dough. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead for at least 5 minutes until the dough is soft and elastic. This gives the bread a good springy texture.
- Place back into a clean, lightly oiled bowl and cover with a polythene bag. Leave in a warm place to prove until doubled in size.
- If using the bread dough for a crusty white loaf, continue from here: Knock out the air from the dough and knead for another minute.
- Shape into a loaf and transfer to a 900g/2lb lightly oiled loaf tin. Cover loosely with a damp tea towel and leave to rise for 45 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/Gas 7. Bake the proved loaf for 15 minutes then reduce the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6. Cook for a further 15-20 minutes until the crust is golden and firm.
- Tap the base of the loaf. If it sounds hollow, it's ready. Allow to cool on a wire rack.